Friday, March 31, 2017

Baking misadventures with The Food Lab's Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've long wanted to make J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies, and after Miss Nomad Foodie put in a request for Mommy to bake some cookies, I decided to pull out the ingredients. I browned butter. I weighed flour. I chopped chocolate. Then, when I returned to the kitchen after a brief absence, I found Miss Nomad Foodie standing by the sink, with the bowl of dry ingredients in hand, "look Mommy! I making cookies!" She had added water to the flour.

"I sorry Mommy, I helping you."

In the end, I added a cup of ground oats to soak up some of the excess moisture. The flavor was good, but the cookies came out with a fluffy, cakey texture - as if I had used margarine. Oh well.


I'm sure I'll try again soon enough. Perhaps Buzzfeed's version or Seven Spoon's version. One thing that I forgot to mention was that, inspired by Dorie Greenspan's newest chocolate chip cookie variation, I added a 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment